Slide Show

Copy Right

All images are the property of Adventures OF A 4 Wheeling Mom. Copy Right © 2011 Adventures Of a 4 Wheeling Mom

Friday, June 21, 2013

2013 Oregon Trophy Challenge



The Oregon Trophy Challenge, which was once known as the Team Trophy Challenge is back for its second consecutive year.  The organizers of the original Team Trophy Challenge took a break a few years ago.  Teresa and her team of volunteers decided to bring it back as the Oregon Trophy Challenge. It was a HUGE success during its first year back and this year it is will be held on September 21st and 22nd

The Oregon Trophy Challenge is not your everyday off-road event. This two day, one night event, that is made up of teams of 2 rigs and 4 people, will challenge your skills in and out of your rig.  Using a map and your thinking skills, you will navigate a course that is pre-determined with check points. Each check point will test your skills in different areas. Anything from basic off-roading skills to just down-right fun challenges. This is an elimination event; the Top four Teams will compete for the Grand Prize on the second day.  


Do you work well with others? Do you have three buddies that will have your back? Are you ready to prove you got what it takes to make it through this event?  Then get on over to the sign up page and get your registration in.  Click here to register




Mom’s chat with Teresa:


MOM: Did you ever run in the original Team Trophy Challenge?

TERESA: The original Team Trophy Challenge was put on by Doug Shipman. Unfortunately, I did not have the privilege of running the event. I had not heard of it in until the last year it was held.


MOM: How did you get the idea to bring back the Trophy Challenge?

TERESA: Really it was the disappointment that I had missed it when it was still going on. I thought it sounded like a fun event and was sad that I did not get to experience it. Since I couldn’t compete in it, I wanted to bring it back for others.


MOM: Tell the readers how you got into off-roading. Is it something you have done all your life, or is it a sport you took up as an adult?

TERESA: I started working in the parts department of Gresham Chrysler Jeep in 1997. One of the technicians had a really nice CJ5. He signed up for a Flat Broke n 4 wheelin’ poker run and needed a co-pilot. He invited me and the parts manager. We found out after we were all there that neither of us was good at reading in a moving vehicle, LOL. That was my first trip to the Tillamook State Forest. I found myself in need of a new vehicle the next year and bought from the dealership the 1990 Wrangler that I still have. I began driving it off road in 2000 and learned and grew slowly with my rig.


MOM: Who was your biggest influence in learning to off-road?

TERESA: Originally, Shane Fay, the Jeep tech from my dealership taught me quite a lot. My husband and I have really taught ourselves a lot. Driving is a learning experience. You find out what doesn’t work and change it till it does. We decided to drive to White River to camp out one year. The connecting road 43, is not plowed for snow and was still very full of it. We had just barely left the pavement when my husband sank in and got stuck. We hooked up a strap and I gave him a tug. Of course that buried my rig with the strap tight between us. That was our first learning experience of ‘airing down in the snow’.


MOM: What is your favorite type of terrain to off-road on?

TERESA: I really like trails with a combination of rocks, a little mud, and trees. Something that takes a little skill is always a good challenge. I live near Mt. Hood, so I see some snow. It can be fun to have to ‘four wheel’ to get to work. I can drive in the sand only once a year and be perfectly happy. I don’t care for it getting into seals and chewing things up.


MOM: What do you drive most often when you are off-roading? Give us all the dirty details of your ride year, make, model and modifications. And Name if it has one.

TERESA: Between my husband and I, we have three Jeeps and one early Bronco. My favorite and most often driven is my 90 Wrangler. Being what I learned on, it is the most comfortable for me. I would say that I drive by braille. I like to feel what I am stuck on. I can’t do that as well in my coil sprung JK. It started out stock with a 2.5L.

• It now has a built (by Shane Fay) 4.0L

• on board air

• Tera-low 4:1 t-case

• Dana 44 front and rear with ARB’s and 4.88’s

• Sprung over with reverse shackles and buggy springs

• Locking hubs

• 35” Goodyear MTR’s

• ‘good luck mud’ on the inside of the windshield.

I have never given my Jeep a ‘name’ but my license plate is JP CHIC. :-)
Teresa and her YJ getting it on.
Play Safe and Tread Lightly
A  4 Wheeling Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment