Slide Show

Copy Right

All images are the property of Adventures OF A 4 Wheeling Mom. Copy Right © 2011 Adventures Of a 4 Wheeling Mom

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pack Out What You Pack In



Illegal dumping has been an issue for many generations. I hate it when I see dump sites in nature. It bugs me just as much to see someones McDonald cup tossed on the side of a trail or road. To me it's all the same, a big black garbage bag full of your crap or just a fast food wrapper.

Not only does it look nasty, but it is harmful to the environment, could cause health hazards for humans, and is costly to clean up. I could go on all day about the harm it can do to wildlife. For a little more info Check out this PDF from Green Sweep 

On the off road front, dumping trash of small or large amount can get trails and road closed down. As Off Roaders we have so many things to worry about to keep our trails open, but one of the easiest to avoid is littering.

The problem starts with one person thinking" It won't matter if I toss this one thing out the car window"  Then the next person comes along and thinks the same thing. Next thing you know you have 10 or 20 people thinking tossing only one item won't make a difference, but it does! You now have 20 pieces of trash where there was none.  Now this one spot on the trail looks more like a garbage dump than a beautiful trail in the mountains, desert, beach, mud or where ever you wheel. This goes for all off road activities boating, hiking, horseback riding, biking skiing ect.

Is it that hard to keep a trash bag or a roll of them in your rig? No I didn't think so. Is it that hard to stop and actually take it out and put your trash in it? No I didn't think so.  I'm proud to say I know many off-road enthusiast that pack out more than they brought in! I strive to be that type of person, but I'm not perfect. I don't always take out more than I bring, but I never leave anything behind!


Check out this video from The Vermont Jeepgirl. She found this dump site while out on a drive. It breaks my heart! She wanted to organize a trail clean up, but found out it had already been closed :-(

Don't let this happen to your favorite trail! 


4 Wheeling Mom
Drive Safe, Have Fun, and Tread Lightly!

No comments:

Post a Comment