Slide Show

Copy Right

All images are the property of Adventures OF A 4 Wheeling Mom. Copy Right © 2011 Adventures Of a 4 Wheeling Mom

Friday, January 20, 2012

Mom talks with Starlie from Poison Spyder Customs


Please welcome Miss Starlie to Adventures of a 4 Wheeling Mom.


Starlie is much like myself.  She not only plays in a male dominated sport, she also works in a male dominated environment, as well as being a mom to a male child. Starlie was kind enough or maybe it was brave enough to be my first victim err I mean interview here at Adventures of a 4 Wheeling Mom. 


 
Mom: I grew up with a father who rode dirt bikes, and taught off road driving when in the military. But I myself just recently learned the joys of doing the driving for myself. Starlie how did you get into off road driving?

Starlie: I was raised in the tiny town of Eagle Point Oregon. We had 3 wheelers and a Honda Trail 70 (I'm really dating myself huh) we had enough property to have a "back 40" so we were always outdoors. My family made yearly riding trips to Diamond Lake in the winter time and Coos Bay in the summer time with our 3 wheelers. Every chance we got we would go down to the local spot called "The Ponds" in White City to go 4x4n (4-bye-in) One night Dad brought home a new-to-us Suzuki Samurai and the first time we took it out wheelin is when I really fell in love with the sport. 

Mom: Being a woman in a male dominated sport activity do you find you have to prove your skill to the men you meet? Or do they tend to just except you?

Starlie: I have never felt like Ive had to prove myself to anyone, men or women. I know what I am or what I am not capable of and when it comes down to it, I love the sport, I'm not out to 
impress anyone, I just like to have fun. 


Mom:  What is your Favorite form of wheeling; rock crawling, mudslinging, good old fashion dirt hill climb, dune hopping, or maybe a bit of King Of The Hammer? (For those that don’t know what that is, search youtube )

Starlie: I love it all! A long day of trails, a day in the snow, camping at the dunes... The friends, the rush of rock crawling and bonfires with The Captain... There isn't one thing I don't absolutely love. That's why my son Jake and I are so excited for KOH. The ultimate in desert racing. The company I work for built a race-car for this years race so were super excited for that!


Mom:  Back when I worked auto parts women were not allowed to work the parts counter. We were relegated to the cash register or to inventory. My regular customers were not afraid to ask me for help though. You also work in a male dominated industry, a manufacture of off road parts. How was the reception? Poison Spyder Customs seems to be open to female employees and not just as the eye candy. Do you feel part of the crew?

Starlie: Absolutely! There's a few of us girls that work there and we all are there for the love of the sport! I really feel like I'm a part of the Poison Spyder family. I met the owners Larry and Cheri McRae at SEMA in Vegas in 09. They are so involved in the sport yet so down to earth. We've kept in touch over the last few years and when they called me to see if I wanted to come work for them, it was a no-brainer! It really does feel like a Spyder family there. 


Mom: Tell the readers about your most memorable trip.


Starlie: My most memorable trip... Jake and I were living in Denver CO. It was summertime. Mile-Hi Jeep Club was sponsoring an event called All-For-Fun-Run in Salida CO. it was about a week long event that involved camping, designated trail runs, vendor shows and just plain wheelin fun. Jake and I were invited to attend with PSC. We arrived late Tuesday night, set up camp, the vendor show was on Wednesday, then Thursday and Friday were more trail rides. Thursdays trails included Chinamans, more crawling and difficult trails that my little stock YJ would not make, you had to be locked and lifted, so Jake and I jumped in with Brock and Joe Dieds in 'Cain' a highly modified JK on 42's with a 426 Hemi, (you can read all about it in Octobers issue of 4 Wheel Drive Magazine or 4wdmag.com) Larry and Cheri were there with last years KOH JK, there were several TJs in our group and the one and only Pa Smurf YJ was there. It was fun even from the passenger seat but I really wanted to drive. Lunch was a pit stop for a picnic, I expressed my desire to drive, well when lunch was over and I was handed a set of keys I was ecstatic! I was able to drive the rest of the day. Fridays trails were not as technical and I was able to drive my YJ (topless and doorless of course) The sights we saw that day were breathtaking. It was like we were on top of the world! My highlight on Friday was getting to drive Pa Smurf on one of the trails, then back to camp. That's just one wheeling trip that was super badass... then there are the many trips to Moab UT for EJS that were spectacular too! Jake and I are more than happy to be a part of the wheelin way of life. OlllllO

Mom: WOW I think I need to hang around you so I can play in a big toy too! :-) 

Again thank you Starlie for taking time out of your busy life to share a little bit about yourself with us.  I hope someday we can meet up on the trails! 



6 comments:

  1. Starlie is a true inspiration to her son foremost and the sport! Jeep on, and all the adventures to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starlie is an awesome person for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!! Glad we are now linked to the blog! Great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lucas! I'm just getting started but have big plans :-)

    ReplyDelete